Lesson #3: Empathy
Self Awareness is about being able to recognize your own reaction to something and where it is stemming from. Once you can recognize your reaction phase you can control it. It is about understanding your own needs and challenges in any presenting situation. It is showing yourself empathy.
To control your emotional impulse and reaction you can practice these techniques:
1. Know your triggers - those words or actions done by others that cause you distress. Or situations that make you fearful of the unknown.
2. Recognize your triggers for what they are - fears that cause your body defence mechanisms to jump into action and are based on negative past experiences.
3. Understand your own symptoms your body’s defence mechanism causes for you and expect them to be there. Use them as a strength to remind you to take a calming breath to think before you respond.
Social Awareness in listening - not to the words, but the message behind them. The two most effective ways to convey empathy is to respond to feeling and verbalize the implied. It is about being able to sense the emotion of others, understand their perspective all the while convey kindness and compassion in your own words and actions.
To heighten your sensitivity to others needs to be able to respond with empathy you can practice these techniques:
1. Stop what you are doing and look at the person talking to you to really hear them.
2. Take into consideration how confident they look in that moment, the pitch of their voice, and how seamless their words flow.
3. Use statements to convey you really heard them for example: “I hear you saying you are feeling frustrated with…..” or “to summarize, you really are not ready to take on this project”